Did you know 40,000 kids living in Orange, Seminole, and Osceola Counties, Florida, are food insecure? That’s one in five kids who eat meals at school during the week but are without affordable, healthy food on Saturday and Sunday. The consequences are much more than a growling stomach. Hunger can cause many physical health problems. It can shorten a child’s attention span, lower their IQ, and keep them from making good grades.
That’s where Blessings in a Backpack can help.
Our mission is simple: we provide food on the weekends for school-aged children who might otherwise go hungry.
In May 2021, The Kate & Justin Rose Foundation Chapter of Blessings in a Backpack in Orlando celebrated its first anniversary as an official Blessings in a Backpack chapter! So much has happened over the past year, including:
- Feeding more kids! When we first got started, we were serving just over 2,000 Central Florida children. We have doubled that number, and we are now providing Blessings bags to 4,000 students every weekend.
- Increased our service area! When we first started, most of our schools were in Orange County. We are now serving students in Seminole and Osceola Counties as well.
- Grown our volunteer base! We started with only about 40, and we now have hundreds of volunteers in Central Florida.
- Feeding kids when schools were closed due to COVID-19! We could continue feeding kids when everything else was so uncertain because of our pre-packaged food solution and our distribution model.
- Increased hunger-free weekends for Central Florida students! Last year we provided 86,000 hunger-free weekends. This school year we distributed 121,726 Blessings bags for local kids.
THANK YOU so much for helping to make our first year such a great one!
Our goal is to increase the number of children being served to 5,560 this school year. But we need your help!
You can help us reach that goal by:
- donating (as little as $120 feeds one child every weekend of the school year!)
- getting involved
- partnering with our chapter
Click on the buttons below to get started!
In 2009, professional golfer Justin Rose and his wife Kate began partnering with Blessings in a Backpack to feed hungry bellies in Orlando.
In May 2020, the Kate & Justin Rose Foundation made a generous gift of $1.15 million to found The Kate & Justin Rose Foundation Chapter of Blessings in a Backpack in Orlando. In partnership with the national organization and under the direction of a regional advisory board and a managing director, this chapter will drive scalable growth to feed 16,000 children on the weekends throughout the school year by 2030!
“Food and children is just such an obvious essential,” said Kate Rose. “If you don’t have food in those tummies nothing is going to make an impact so we have just been trying to close a little bit of a gap in that area.”